Wednesday 22 August 2007

The Platypus

Italeri 1/72 Sukhoi Su-32/34 'Strike Flanker'

Background
The Sukhoi Su-34 (NATO : Fullback) is developed as a strike/fighter-bomber version of the Su-27 'Flanker'. Severe budget restrictions following the collapse of the Soviet Union repeatedly stalled the project and the aircraft received confusing designations : Officially described in 1994 as Su-34, then making an appearance at the 1995 Paris Air Show as Su-32FN and as Su-34MF at MAKS 1999. The plane is nicknamed 'platypus' because of its oddly-shaped nose even though it was coded 'Fullback' by NATO.

As of January 2007, two airframes have been delivered to the Russian Air Force with approximately 200 to be in service by the year 2020.

The kit
My version of the 'Fullback' is produced by Italeri. Kit parts looks fine with petite recessed panel lines. Detail-wise, some parts are well-detailed (such as the landing gears) whilst a few others are simplified (like the cockpit). A pretty comprehensive weapons load is included which comprises of missiles and guided bombs. A small decal sheet with markings for 'Blue 43' at Zhukovsky Test Centre and 'outline 45' / 'white 349' from the 1995 Paris Air Show.




Building

As usual, I start building the cockpit first. As mentioned before, details are simplified here and I believe the cockpit could benefit from an aftermarket resin set. I was thinking of getting the Neomega set but shelved it because of budgetary constraints (like the real Fullback I guess?) The dashboard is also 'wrong' as it lacks the three MFDs of the real plane. The K-36 ejection are also simplified although it looks better than the one supplied with Italeri's own MiG-29 Fulcrum kit. The cockpit also lacks crew entry door (or at least an engraved panel-pretending-to be- a door).

Moving on to the rest of the plane, assembly/construction is almost a breeze except for the wings which doesn't fit very well, but nothing serious. One catch though, the kit vertical fins are wrong. It should be shorter (as in the single-seat Flankers). Surgery would be quite major and I'm not prepared to splash my hard-earned money on another Flanker kit, even the cheap, crap one, just for the fins! So the original fins are used; I can live with that!


Painting and Markings
I must say that the Fullback has one of the most confusing colour schemes in the world today (or is it just my eyes?) I decided to paint my Fullback as the Paris Air Show machine using the kit colour guide. It end up looking reeeaaal weird and does not match the photos I've seen. So, I strip the paint off using Easy Off kitchen cleaner and used my own concoction of Tamiya X14 Sy Blue + XF2 Flat White for the blue, XF-13 plus a shade of grey (can't remember which one) for the green and Gunze H307 for the grey plus Gunze H308 for the dielectric panels. It still looks quite weird but at least closer to the photos. Later on I found an online shop website where they make available the instruction sheets of various kits in their catalogue. The instruction sheet for Tamiya's boxing of this kit is available and should be of immense help had I discovered it earlier! (I almost exclusively use Tamiya paints)

Decals went on without much problem. However I left off the Paris Air Show registration number.

Final Run
In the meantime I assembled the weapons and painted them according to instructions except for the AA-11 and AA-12 missiles which are painted overall white. Once they have been attached to the pylons, I attached the small fiddly bits such as pitot probes. And as usual, I leave weathering and other finishing works for a later, undetermined date.


Conclusion
A good kit of an interesting aircraft. Quite easy to assemble and I recommed it to those who want to have it in their collection. Those who wish for better details and accuracy can opt to get the Neomega cockpit, replace the vertical fins and other small modifications which I didn't bother to do.

3 comments:

HMS said...

Greeting!

Just bought the exactly same kit and am excited to assemble it over the next few weekends.

Anonymous said...
This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.
Anonymous said...

Your blog keeps getting better and better! Your older articles are not as good as newer ones you have a lot more creativity and originality now keep it up!